Tuesday, February 16, 2021

recent activity re: printmaking endeavors


View from shore
2021
drypoint with hand color





Redpoll
2021
drypoint with hand color




Recently I decided to create a couple of small studies that combined intaglio with painting. The drypoint studies were drawn into the surface of thin acrylic (recycled product packaging that can cut into small pieces. Think of the cartons that have cards, food items contained in). The plates have a short life span when they are printed using high pressure of a press roller and only yield around 8 good prints off each plate. I decided to incorporate hand colouring to each one making it unique from the one before or after in the edition. I am finding printing small editions works for me in that less time is required in studio and these are not to strenuous on my body.

The first study is of a hoary redpoll perched on top of a fir tree. These small members of the finch family are common in this region over the cold winter months when they make their way down here from areas closer to the arctic. They have a noticeable red triangle that extends up to the top of their head that starts above the bill.  

The second study is a landscape based on a favourite lake I visit when I can. It is a late summer depiction of a view through reeds along shore looking across a section of the lake. 

Plate size for Redpoll measures 5 x 7.5 cm (2 x 3 inches). The image was drawn into the surface using a homemade needle (small sharp pointed compass needle held in place by the clamping mechanism of a mechanical pencil).  I have had that pencil since my college days over 40 yrs back. 











I used Cranfield safewash carbon black etching ink to wipe into the lines on the plate. Plates were printed onto Magnani 250 gm cotton rag. Once the ink had dried I introduced colour using liquid acrylic inks thinned with water.




plate with needle drawn image in surface 





For this recent landscape (below) again I have used thin acrylic plate. The plate size measures 8 x 11 cm (3 1/8 x 4 1/4 in). 




image/plate size for Redpoll measures 5 x 7.5 cm (2 x 3 in)






























1 comment: